We were discussing the possibility of new team icons for Lobster content, as we probably wouldn't want to have a team Lobster. Meredyth and I vote for team Harbor Seal, Dave thinks team Cod or team Atlantic Herring...other ideas, comments?
I like the idea of different kinds of plankton combined with their adult form. So, team mola would have a larval mola (way cool looking with huge spines) next to an adult mola. A copepod would just have two copepods since the larva and adult are pretty much the same. This could subtly get at meroplankton vs holoplankton.
In any case, I would replace lobster with either a mola, lion's mane jellyfish, sea gooseberry, or skeleton shrimp.
Oooh! I like the larval form idea a lot!! Especially for the mola, mostly because they have the cutest/strangest larval form!! Plus its the fish so nice they named it twice.
I think team herring or (atlantic herring) is a good idea. The bait source of the future might be something like "cow hide soaked in herring brine", which may be an unsightly team icon and hard to fit on a name tag.
8 comments:
Are you sure you don't want to keep in the invertebrate family? Perhaps a rock crab? Those charismatic megamammal fauna can be so distracting...
How about Team Lobster Bait?
Seriously, it may prove useful for the presentation to be able to refer to Team Herring (or whatever the bait source of tomorrow is).
Is bait choice part of the LVS2 game? Wonder if Team Herring would hesitate to use themselves as bait....
This might be an interesting question to throw out to students when the polling devices are in full swing:
"Vote for next year's Team Names...."
I like the idea of different kinds of plankton combined with their adult form. So, team mola would have a larval mola (way cool looking with huge spines) next to an adult mola. A copepod would just have two copepods since the larva and adult are pretty much the same. This could subtly get at meroplankton vs holoplankton.
In any case, I would replace lobster with either a mola, lion's mane jellyfish, sea gooseberry, or skeleton shrimp.
Oooh! I like the larval form idea a lot!! Especially for the mola, mostly because they have the cutest/strangest larval form!! Plus its the fish so nice they named it twice.
I think team herring or (atlantic herring) is a good idea. The bait source of the future might be something like "cow hide soaked in herring brine", which may be an unsightly team icon and hard to fit on a name tag.
I can put a vote up on the blog. How about rock crab, mola, lobster bait, ...? I'll post tomorrow with pictures if you want.
Sounds like a great idea Ed!
The results are in. Looks like most people want the mola for a team icon (30% of the vote) for Lobsters.
Post a Comment